Infection Control Annual Statement 2019-20
The annual statement will be generated each year in April
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure.
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention & control
- Details of infection control advice to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Balmore Park Lead for Infection Prevention and Control is Madeleine Farmar, Practice Nurse Manager who is supported by Andrea McFarlane, Deputy Practice Manager.
This team keep updated with Infection Prevention & Control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year there have been two significant events that related to Infection Prevention & Control.
Audit completed on action to be taken in event of vaccine fridge failure, completed by Pharmacist and policy updated in Feb 2018.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention and controls have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Sharps injury
11 new staff joined Balmore Park Surgery in the past 12 months and received infection control and hand-washing training within one month of employment.
100% of the Practice Clinical staff completed their annual Infection Prevention and Control update training face to face and online
100% of the Practice Non-clinical staff completed their annual Infection Prevention and Control update training.
The Infection Control Leads attended training updates in 2017 and are due to attend again in the next six months for their role provided by Michaela Hooper (the Infection Prevention & Control Nurse for Berkshire West CCGs).
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the Medical Centre/Surgery.
There are leaflets/posters available in the Surgery on:
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
Policies, procedures and guidelines
Documents related to Infection Prevention & Control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated two-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).